- 34.2 million American adults have served as unpaid caregivers in the prior 12 months;
- The average age of caregivers is 50.3;
- 60% of caregivers are female;
- 86% of caregivers provide care to a relative;
- 47% of caregivers provide care to a parent or parent-in-law;
- 1 in 10 caregivers cares for a spouse;
- 1 in 4 caregivers provides care to someone 85 or older;
- The average length of time caregivers reported providing care was 5 to 7 years;
- 50% of caregivers provide care to a loved one who resides in their own home (aging in place);
- Caregivers reported spending 24.1 hours per week caregiving;
- 6 in 10 caregivers provide assistance with 1 activity of daily living (ADL) (most common was transferring to and from bed, chair, etc. 45%);
- Caregivers reported providing assistance with 4.2 out of 7 instrumental activities of daily living (IADL);
- 78% transportation
- 76% shopping
- 72% housework
- 42% of caregivers stated these activities add up to a high burden of care;
- 51% of caregivers say they advocate for the recipient and interact with various providers, agencies and professionals;
- 1 in 5 caregivers reports their health status has gotten worse as a result of caring for a loved one;
- 38% high levels of emotional stress
- 19% high level of physical strain
- 17% high level of financial strain
- 8 in 10 caregivers state they could use more information or help on caregiving topics;
- 43% of caregivers want information about keeping a loved on safe at home
- 42% of caregivers want information on managing their own stress
- 1 in 4 caregivers report it is difficult to get affordable services in their own community.
Special Care Services' understands the stress and burden you, as a caregiver face. We are here to support and encourage you throughout this difficult and challenging time.
We can assist you with developing a comprehensive plan of care (action) that enables you or your loved one to have an optimal quality of life. We understand the added burden of paying for care/assistance, which is why we have made our rates and fees affordable, with a custom, tailored plan that meets your needs. We work within your budget to assist you.
We're here when you need us ~ Providing "Special Care for Special People"